Comment on transaction
“Our company continues moving up the biopharmaceutical value chain, now with a clinical Phase III-ready unique COVID-19 vaccine asset and with exclusive license rights to carry on development of a proprietary breast cancer vaccine asset, which we have recently proven preclinical proof-of-concept of. We are committed to progressing our own drug candidates, with the knowledge of the larger investments needed to de-risk the assets. On this basis, we expect higher returns for our shareholders, most recently shown during 2021’s significant pipeline advancements across our pipeline of vaccine candidates for infectious diseases and cancer. The board, our employees and I greatly appreciate the support from our investors and look forward to pursuing the next exciting steps in the company’s life.”, comments Bent U. Frandsen, CEO, ExpreS2ion Biotech.
About ExpreS2ion Biotech
ExpreS2ion Biotech is a biotechnology company that develops vaccines based on complex proteins targeting infectious diseases and cancer. The company develops a pipeline of preventive and therapeutic vaccine products while generating revenue by outlicensing the company’s ExpreS2 platform. The lead candidate targeting COVID-19 is outlicensed to Bavarian Nordic, with positive phase II data announced in February 2022 and phase III expected to be initiated during H1 2022.
- ExpreS2ion develops novel vaccines for indications with a growing medical need, currently targeting COVID-19, breast cancer, influenza and malaria. Business model includes high-potential pipeline of key focus, backed up by Contract Research Organization (CRO) business, that has generated SEK 60 million since IPO in 2016.
- ExpreS2ion’s out-licensed lead candidate targeting COVID-19 announced positive phase II data in February 2022. The results confirmed the ability of the candidate to boost neutralizing antibodies to levels reported to be highly efficacious (>90%) against SARS-CoV-2. The data demonstrated positive results across the major COVID-19 virus variants.
- ExpreS2ion is advancing towards key triggers during 2022, effectively de-risking the company’s portfolio. ExpreS2ion’s partner Bavarian Nordic is preparing for the already funded phase III trial, which is expected to be initiated in H1 2022.
- The vaccine candidate targeting breast cancer, ES2B-C001, is expected to file for a clinical phase I trial in 2023. Positive preclinical topline data was announced in January 2022, demonstrating preclinical PoC
- ExpreS2ion’s proprietary platform, ExpreS2, enables cost- and time efficient production of proteins required for development and production of vaccines and immunotherapy products. To date the platform has produced 500+ different proteins while posting a success rate exceeding 90% across 100+ clients and partners.