About ExpreS2ion Biotechnologies
ExpreS2ion Biotech is a biotechnology company that develops vaccines based on complex proteins targeting infectious diseases and cancer. The company develops a pipeline of preventive and therapeutic vaccine products while generating revenue by outlicensing the company’s ExpreS2 platform. The lead candidate targeting COVID-19 is outlicensed to Bavarian Nordic, with positive phase II data announced in February 2022 and phase III initiated during September 2022. ExpreS2ion has a strong pipeline with multiple candidates in pre-clinical phase. The company’s vaccine targeting breast cancer is wholly owned and have shown great potential in pre-clinical trials where the company intends to file for phase I trial in the beginning of 2024.
- ExpreS2ion develops novel vaccines for indications with a growing medical need, currently targeting COVID-19, breast cancer, influenza, Cytomegalovirus (CMV) and malaria. Business model includes high-potential pipeline of key focus, with multiple partnerships (Bavarian Nordic, Evaxion), backed up by Contract Research Organization (CRO) business, that has generated SEK 60 million since IPO in 2016.
- Expres2ion’s out-licensed lead candidate targeting COVID-19 announced positive phase II data in February 2022. The results confirmed the ability of the candidate to boost neutralizing antibodies to levels reported to be highly efficacious (>90%) against SARS-CoV-2. The data demonstrated positive results across the major COVID-19 virus variants. Phase III trials initiated during September 2022 by Bavarian Nordic.
- Current market-dominating COVID-19 vaccines are mRNA-based and thus complicated and expensive for cold chain-handling reasons, apparently the protection is also short-lived, and risks mutated virus escapes the vaccines protective effect.
- ExpreS2ion’s vaccine candidate targeting breast cancer, which is wholly owned, is expected to file for clinical Phase I trials in the beginning of 2024 after preclinical safety study read-out towards the end of 2023, with first-in human trial envisioned to commence in 2024. Positive preclinical topline data was announced in December 2021 and January 2022 demonstrating preclinical Proof-of-Concept (PoC).
- All ExpreS2ion’s vaccine candidates and the CRO business are based on the company’s proprietary platform, ExpreS2. The platform enables cost-and time efficient production of proteins required for the development and production of vaccines and immunotherapy products. To date the platform has produced +500 different proteins while posting a success rate exceeding 90% across +100 clients and partners.